Welcome to the 2017 George Washington’s Birthday Marathon and Relay … Sunday, February 19, 2017
Information For Runners:
Race Date: Sunday, February 19, 2017. Start time: 10:00 a.m. for all runners.
Course: Three-loop course through Greenbelt, Maryland and the U.S.D.A. Beltsville Agricultural Research Center. USATF-certified, Boston Marathon qualifier. Course map here.
Relay option: three (or two) runners complete 9.7, 7.3 and 9.2 mile legs.
Aid stations: 13 aid stations at approximately two-mile intervals. Water and Gatorade at all; PowerGel at many.
Comfort Stations: facilities available at aid stations (except for 2.4-mile).
Time limit: 6½ hours (equates to a 14:53/mile pace). Solo marathoners must begin the third loop by 2:15 pm.
|Sign-up Date ==>>||Through 12/31/2016||01/01 – 01/31/2017||02/01 – 02/17/2017||02/18/2017||Race Morning|
|Relay Runners (each)||$25||$35||$45||$50||$55|
Other info: Entry fees include technical-fiber, long-sleeve shirt and post-race party. Solo marathoners get finisher medals.
2016 Solo Marathon Finisher Medals; 2017 Medals will be also be terrific!
Safety and Earphones: We share roads with vehicle traffic. Personal audio is strongly discouraged; keep the volume down if you must.
Registration: Open now at www.dcroadrunners.org/sign-up/gwbm.
No “early start” this year. For runners’ safety, we are starting all runners together. We won’t have police support, emergency medical technicians, course marshals, aid station staff or any other support services prior to this time. There are two highway intersections that are not safe for runners to cross without uniformed police presence, and the two mile stretch on Springfield Road has no shoulder to run on. Runners present on the course outside the hours we’ve negotiated with USDA Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Prince George’s County and the City of Greenbelt violate our permits and jeopardize the availability of these venues to support future races. Please don’t “run rogue.”
Bad Weather arrangements, refunds, etc. Please read our “Terms of Service” carefully.
- No refunds. No deferrals to 2018.
- Registrations may be transferred to another runner for a nominal fee.
- Taking place in the Middle Atlantic region in the middle of February, this event has a significant chance of being canceled or modified due to severe weather. (See, among other horrible years, 2008, 2009, 2014 and 2015.) We reserve the right to cancel the race if, in our sole discretion, or if directed by public safety officials, weather conditions would expose runners, volunteers, motorists on local roads, or other participants to unacceptable risks, including but not limited to hypothermia and road conditions conducive to slipping and falling.
- In the event of forecasted, unsafe weather, we will make a decision on Thursday afternoon, February 16th, whether to conduct the race as planned. We’ll announce this decision on the web site and by email to registered runners.
- If the Marathon is canceled due to weather, force majeure, acts of God or other unforeseeable circumstances, we will not re-schedule it nor will we mail your shirt, medal, bib and a partial refund. We may offer a “shirt pickup” event but are not obligated to do so. Working translation: we keep your money and donate the shirts to a shelter, just like all other marathons do.
- Deteriorating weather conditions during the race may require us to truncate the course and direct runners back to Greenbelt.
- Planning for the Marathon takes place over an extended period of time and we reserve the right to make changes to the event as may become necessary due to evolving circumstances, including the substitution of goods and services of reasonably comparable quality and value.
- We reserve the right to disqualify runners for unsportsmanlike conduct, including being verbally abusive to race officials or volunteers before, during, or after the event, whether in face-to-face communication, email, or social media.
- We reserve all rights to alter these terms of service at any time and for any reason.
Information For Families and Friends:
Packet pickup: Saturday, February 18 from 5 pm to 8 pm or Sunday morning before the race, at the Greenbelt Youth Center (99 Centerway, Greenbelt MD). You may also leave small bags with us in the Multi-Purpose Room on Sunday. (Not responsible for personal property, etc., but you knew that.)
Accommodations: Please see our Hotels page.
Post-Race Festivities: hot food, beverages, entertainment and awards at the Greenbelt Youth Center. Hot showers (or cold, if you prefer) are also available in the Gym.
Get Involved: Volunteer!
We need lots of volunteers to put on this race, including course marshals, aid station personnel, food service at the post-race party, packet pickup and course set-up (on Saturday) and clean-up. If you’d like to help, please sign up here. Or contact the DCRRC Volunteer Coordinator, with questions or for more information. Note: for people running the 2016-17 DCRRC Snowball Series races, volunteering at the George Washington Birthday Marathon fulfills your volunteer requirement.
We’re a non-profit organization that exists solely to support runners and running in the D.C. metropolitan area. Entry fees cover race expenses and a small contribution to our ongoing operations. When you run with us on President’s Day weekend (or at other times), you’re supporting the sport of road running, not lining corporate coffers.